Q&A: Can a dog have eye problems from a plant?

by David Jenyns

Question by Drea: Can a dog have eye problems from a plant?
Ok so we have this plant and it’s a really weird one.. so my dog likes to bite.. so he bit the leaf !!! i think this white liquid got into one of his eyes because he can’t open it!!!! is it possible for dogs to have like eye problems because of that???

Best answer:

Answer by swirls
I beleive so:
It may be a poisninous plant!
Check using Yahoo! or Google.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

alyce g March 28, 2012 at 4:40 pm

If the plant has irritating juices, then his eye could be sore. He also could be having an alergic reaction to the plant.

Or it could just be an infected eye. You should take him to the vet before damage is irreversible.

Reply

pammie March 28, 2012 at 5:34 pm
David P March 28, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Yes, lots of plants are irritants and some can actually kill your animals. I would call poison control and see what they say, or call your vet. I hope its just an irritant and goes away soon. Good luck.

Reply

Scott S March 28, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Yes, and I think your dog might be allergic to it. Either that or maybe the liquid is sticky, I might be holding your dogs eye closed.

Reply

Hotshot March 28, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Don’t hesitate, take him to the vet! Good luck!

Reply

maesam March 28, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Visit his vet.

Reply

teaspoon2btm March 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm

yes.

Reply

Laura March 28, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Maybe he should be seen by a vet? Have you tried to wash out his eye? I would call my vet first thing in the morning.

Reply

Mimi Di March 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Yes. Call your vet. Some plants are highly poisonous to dogs- like poinsettias and oleanders. Poison enter the body any way it can-throough the mouht, the skin or even an eye.

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: